Thursday, March 17, 2011

Potty Training

Ok, so I thought I would do a topic for the little bit older kids. I'm super excited by all the people that have joined to help us all raise happy kids!!
SO, potty training. I had no idea or expectations on this subject. I was flying totally blind by the whole things. This last summer, my oldest was almost 2 and he had a friend with a little potty. He was totally into it, so we got him is own. The first day, he went poopy in it! We were totally excited! A couple days later some pee pee and that was about it. The only advice I got about potty training was "once he gets it, it'll just happen." well, that didn't exactly happen for us! I wish I had been more educated and more helpful with potty training. So, by the time it was to move again, nothing. We tried a little bit the next place, but with 2 more moves before we knew we were settled a while, we decided to wait.
About the beginning of November I did some research and found a site called "the Potty Trainer" and liked what I was reading. Her method was to set a timer for ever 30 min and when it when off, you get super excited about it being "POTTY TIME!" do a little dance on over to the potty, and see if anything happens. My boy went on most trips, but no poopy. We did this for 3 days and he was really getting the hang of it.
We still were having accidents with poopy, but he would get to the potty just fine for pee. I've never done pull-ups during nap, he never had a problem. Once we started hard core, we did pull-ups at night and that was it. One philosophy with the "Potty Trainer" is that pull-ups are glorified diapers, it smells, feels and looks like one, so there for the kid is probably just going to think its a different kind of diaper. He was in pull-ups for maybe 2 weeks, but he was almost always dry so we just let him be in his undies.
My boy was pretty regular with his poopy-ness, so we just got him to sit on the pot around that time. Once he realized it wasn't scary, he did just fine. And that was pretty much it. It was true that once he got it, he just did it, but it took a little more encouragement than I thought.
Also, we are big on positive reinforcement, so after he would go pee we would be super happy and give him 3 M&Ms, and for poopy he would get a small scoop of ice cream. It worked for him!! Once he started to go by himself, we stopped the treats. All together it was about 2 1/2 weeks until he did it by himself. Now, this is just us, but I would love to hear your tips. Like Angela said on Night Sleeping, "every kid is different, what works for one doesn't work for another."
One last thought, sometime they have a relapse on being potty trained! Mine did one morning, about 2 months after he was potty trained. He had 2 accidents one right after the other. So we set the timer and did the routine twice and he was back on track. Also, I never really kept liquids from him. I wouldn't let him chug a whole sippy cup, but if he wanted a drink I wouldn't deny it.
Ok, that's a lot!!!!!!!!!! Hope this helps someone!

2 comments:

  1. Here's what I did...I pushed and pushed. I tried everything!! Then when she was 3 she did it herself. 2 months later she didn't wet at night all by herself. My theory is that they do it when they're ready, when they know that socially it's not ok to pee your pants. Some kids realize that earlier then others. We will wait again with our second...and third.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love On Becoming Potty-Wise and recommend it to any mom who is potty training. It's a system that was organically developed for mentally handicapped adults. The whole system just makes sense: they 'teach' while learning.

    ReplyDelete